Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadow Palette- Overview, Swatches, and Dilemma?!

*Purchased


I come to you today with a beautiful release from Tarte...and a dilemma!

I'll get into the dilemma later in the post though. Today I'll be talking about the new Tartelette Matte Eyeshadow palette by Tarte. I was able to get a hold of it before it was released on Sephora through the VIB/VIB Rouge early access. I was also able to use my VIB coupon (which I told myself I wouldn't use, whoops) on this because it was over $50. I bought this online and even with the shipping, tax, and duty, it was less than if I had bought it in store.

I picked this up because I felt that it would fill a void in my makeup collection (how dramatic!). The only large palette I have is the Naked 3 (which I love!) but I don't have many matte colours at all. When I saw this palette was being released, I just had to jump on it.


The case is gorgeous and substantial. It's all chrome, which made it a bit hard to photograph.

There are 12 eyeshadows in the palette and all of them are matte. When swatching, each of them felt buttery and easy to blend. I've heard from other reviews that if you blend too much it can start to look muddy. I've personally only used this palette once so far, so I can't really atest to those claims.


The photo above is taken with flash and I believe that most of these look pretty true to colour. The photo below is in natural light (where you can see my phone case in the mirror haha).


I know a lot of people had mixed opinions on the names. I personally really love the names of the colours. I think they are very positive and uplifting. :) One thing that hardcore 'tartelettes' mentioned about this palette is that Tarte did away with the plastic film with the names on it and instead printed them on the palette. This is my first tarte palette so I really didn't notice the change. :p

Here are the swatches from the palette, from top left to bottom right:

Free Spirit - Force of Nature - Dreamer - Multi-Tasker

Caregiver - Natural Beauty - Best Friend - Bombshell

Super Mom - Wanderer - Power Player - Fashionista

This ain't no Urban Decay Vice palette which is what I was looking for. All colours are very wearable and neutral. I would say you could make many many different looks with this one palette. One thing that I was surprised when I received this palette was the size. It's about the size of a CD case. Here it is in comparison to my Naked 3:


So now the dilemma i've been facing. All in all I love the palette. They are all colours I would use thoroughly. The one thing that I noticed with this palette is the smell. I noticed it the first time I used it. The colours smell almost rotten if that makes sense. Just really really nasty. I was so disappointed when I found this out and haven't used this palette since. :/ I have no idea if this is just the scent of the palette or if I just got a bad one.

The problem is that I can't find this palette ANYWHERE. I've checked 3 Sephoras and no go. I'm hoping I can find one store even with a tester as I can't even find one with that. Since this palette is so new, there are not many reviews out about it. All the ones I've seen though have not mentioned a nasty smell or a scent. What I'm planning to do is try my best to find one so I can see if they all smell like this or if I just got a bad one. If they are all like this, unfortunately that will be a deal breaker and I'll return it. I'll update this post when I can find out more!

It really sucks because I was looking forward to this palette and it's gone unused. :( Hopefully I just got a bad one and can exchange it for another one.

Even with the few negative thoughts, I hope this post will be helpful to those looking for swatches and such. Thanks for reading! Hope you have an awesome day!

UPDATE: So after visiting / calling like, 6 Sephoras I FINALLY found one that had both a tester and new ones that I could exchange. When I smelt the sample, it didn't smell at all. Unfortunately though, when I smelt the new one, it was the exact same smell as mine (aka nasty). The associate who was helping me said that since Tarte usually does all natural products, sometimes they can smell 'off'. Another associate likened it to 'new car smell'. Sadly it was still a deal breaker for me. It's one of those things where once you know about it, you can't go back. :/ From what I saw, I guess when you start to use it, it looses the scent. But I just couldn't do it. :/ The palette wasn't cheap, so why would I have something that I would continue to neurotically smell? I ended up returning it to get my money back. I'm planning on creating my own matte palette from Inglot so that should be fun. :) 

Follow on Bloglovin

Labels: